Coordinator of Communications and Programs
Organization: The Social Justice Racial Equity Collaborative (SJREC) – Charleston, SC
Salary: $22,000 – $26,000
Reports to: SJREC Leader
Desired Start Date: May 10, 2021
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Since 2015, we have recognized the urgent need for systemic change around racial justice in Charleston. We are cognizant of the widely shared feeling that conversation is not enough. In creating the Social Justice Racial Equity Collaborative (SJREC), The Sophia Institute convenes and aligns respective community goals, resources, and audiences to maximize collaborative impact for Social Justice and Racial Equity.
Working from the inside out, we recognize that a healthy, diverse and inclusive community grows out of an acknowledgment of our interdependence and shared humanity. Through collaboration with our Council and Engagement Partners, we are learning to create alignment and support to existing effective community initiatives addressing social justice and racial equity in the following areas:
• Access to quality education for all
• Ending discriminatory policing
• Gun violence prevention
• Access to affordable and adequate healthcare
• Assure housing affordability
• Expand Voting Rights
• Economic justice and competitive wages
How You Will Make an Impact
As an individual who at their core is aligned with the mission and vision of the SJREC, you possess the prior communication, program implementation and administrative experience to advance the SJREC mission. As SJREC’s Coordinator of Special Programs you will:
• Be the main ambassador and point of contact for SJREC programming
• Manage the daily communications, details, and timelines, while working closely with the Co-Chairpersons
• Coordinate meetings with the leadership team, steering committee and council
• Facilitate the Rx Racial Healing Circle’s (https://healourcommunities.org/) initiative including community launch and implementation
• Maintain the organization’s collaterals including mailing lists, video archives, engagement partner contacts and other information as needed
•Prepare internal and external communications on behalf of the SJREC and the leadership team including:
- Maintaining website content and social media updates
- Managing and facilitating the approval of press releases and interactions with different media outlets
- Facilitating the use and implementation of email, Google drive, Mail Chimp, SurveyMonkey, WordPress, Vimeo, and Zoom
• Desire to do transformational work in the Charleston community
• Priority will be given to candidates who have attended the Racial Equity Institute or a comparable program focused on race, equity, and social justice
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred or Associate’s Degree with 5-years of equivalent communications experience
• Documented experience facilitating the launch of programs across multiple stakeholder groups including volunteer leaders
• Ability and desire to work with and communicate with diverse populations
• Experience with internal and external communications including but not limited to website updates, social media strategy, and press releases
• Tech savvy with proficiency in MS Office and comfortable in the digital space
The Next Steps of the Journey
If you feel called to be a part of this transformational work, please send your resume and a cover letter that aligns your experience to this role to email@example.com subject ‘SJREC-Coordinator of Communications and Programs’. We will accept resumes and cover letters until the position is filled.
We will be unable to contact every applicant. If your application is selected, we will reach out to you regarding next steps.
Thank you and whether you apply, or not, we hope you will be moved to join us in our work for a more just and sustainable community.
SJREC is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, or disability.
All offers of employment will be contingent upon a successful background check.